Friday, March 4, 2016

Paperwork

Being offered a position in China felt like negotiating to purchase a vehicle. Back and forth, back and forth, using the WeChat app for what felt like hours. It was probably only about one hour, but it was tense and I am satisfied with the end result.

After being offered a position to work in China, one begins the long trail of paperwork to obtain first, a work permit, and then a formal invitation from the government accompanied by a letter of invitation by the employer. Providing copies of passport, graduate university transcripts, & diplomas might not be enough. I was asked for additional items which I did provide: criminal background check, physical examination, my daughter's birth certificate; and irrelevant items I was unwilling to provide: my marriage license, a chronological list of every job since high school, a copy of my both high school and undergraduate university transcripts and diploma. The process took way longer than I anticipated and my initial contract start date had to be adjusted to compensate for the delay.

Finally, after 7 weeks, my official letters came and I made my way to my closest Consulate to pursue my work visa. I had two options: A 10 hour drive to present myself in person and wait for the documents to be processed OR utilizing an agency to present on my behalf at an expense that matched the cost of the visa itself and risking still being called in to present myself anyway. I opted to travel.


The Consulate hours are from 9-1130 am. I arrived at 9:40 and was pleasantly surprised that there were only about ten people in front of me. People chatted in line to share their travel plans and the time passed quickly. Often, someone would be sent from the line to provide an extra copy of something from the .25 per page machine conveniently located in the office. Unfortunately, it only took quarters and there was no change machine. Subsequently, visa petitioners frequently sought quarters. I quickly gave all I had away, thinking I had all my paperwork in order. My mistake. When it was my turn at the window, I had to make two trips to the copy machine, totaling more quarters than I had given away in the first place. Thankfully, people helped each other and I was able to successfully drop off my documents.

My request for expedition was met with complete disregard and I must wait four business days for pickup. Now, what to do with that ONE day after I return home to pack before flying to China?!!  Making my list....it's going to be a hectic day!

2 comments:

  1. So happy you've determined to blog this!Negotiating the maze of bureaucracy is an integral part of every adventure, sometimes more labyrinthine than others. I know that you'll plod on through with as much calm and good humor as possible, while keeping your eyes in the prize....adding adventures to your already impressive list of life experiences!...<3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness, I was stressed reading everything and thinking back through our paper chase years ago.
    Wishing you both safe travels and great memories!

    ReplyDelete